Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Cat is ordered and on the way!

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner VTeCno Geek's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 1999
    Posts
    266
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I ordered my Random Tech cat and it is on the way. Pat at Resistance (1-877-RESIST-1) gave me a good deal, and emailed me the tracking number. I should get it on Friday. Hopefully I can get it on this weekend and ditch that clogged stock Cat!

    ------------------
    I am getting my mods paid for by somebody else!!!

    Find out how at VTeCno's Get Paid to Surf Site!


  2. #2
    Inactive Member plumvtec's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 1999
    Posts
    109
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What did you pay for it?

    ------------------
    '96 JR6 GSR Sedan
    '93 Honda CBR 900RR



  3. #3
    Inactive Member TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 1999
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm...I hope your more satisfied with your's than I was with mine.
    I had 2 problems with mine (fit a '91 Civic Si), one major, one minor:

    1. The flange design sucks. I hillbilly at a junkyard could piece something better together. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take an afternoon of hardware re-design to get it to not leak. (They don't supply ANY hardware, you will need some).

    2. After 2 months of daily commuting, the catalytic bricks inside came loose. At certain RPM's they would bang around inside making a sound similar to a large rock being shaken around in a coffee can.

    They waranteed it because of the loose bricks, but considering the effort it took to get the first one to seal, I sold the warantee replacement. I'm running a factory cat again which I 1/2 gutted (removed the primary element - left the secondary there).

    My .02 - good luck,
    -TJ

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner VTeCno Geek's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 1999
    Posts
    266
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My buddy (DarkSol) has been running his for 3 years without a problem. Hopefully my experience is closer to his. And as for price, I paid $210. Pretty good price. I know I could have gotten it cheaper on a group buy, but I didn't want to wait, and nobody I called had it any cheaper.

    ------------------
    I am getting my mods paid for by somebody else!!!

    Find out how at VTeCno's Get Paid to Surf Site!


  5. #5
    Inactive Member Mr Rogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2002
    Posts
    1,097
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    Ouch Vtecno! 2 bills! The Catco is less then 1 and it is a "Direct replacement" for the stock one. Well I hope the new cat helps your surging problem, cause it sure cost you a pretty penny wink

  6. #6
    Inactive Member lundgren's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 1999
    Posts
    1,436
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Catco? Who's heard of that? Random Technologies has made a name. If someone can tell me that the Catco is better, then I'll buy it. Why, maybe I'll buy it and we'll dyno test it.

    As for drop in, the Random Tech is a drop in too, comes in 2.5 inch and 3.0 inch. They show dyno's of the results on their site. Does Catco?

    ------------------
    Lundgren
    Lundgren's Integra Site
    My AllAdvantage Page

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cq's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 25th, 1999
    Posts
    61
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    all this talk about random vs. the other people has made wonder if they really do make better cats.

    i used to have a Perfection hi-flow cat (2.5") til i found that the brick started to seal up =(. so one day i decided to beat the $hit out of the brick and made it nice and hallow. can anyone tell me if Perfection cats are also made by Random? If so, i would be very disappointed. Running with no cat can really irritate my sense of smell.

    ------------------
    1996 Acura Integra GS-R-T
    Dormant for the time being, being prepared to boost 10 psi daily....

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 1999
    Posts
    795
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually most of the aftermarket cats are no better than stock. Sorry VTECnogeek. All of the factory cats are a honeycomb design so they are very efficient. When catalytic converters first debuted about 20 years ago they were extremely restricitive. Apparantly that stigma is still associated with cats today. If your stock cat is bad replace it with another stock unit. It is probably the cheapest and will fit perfectly. If anybody decides to dyno the different cats let us know. Personally I don't think you'll even show a 1 HP increase with the new Random cat over a new stock cat.

    ------------------
    Marc
    1997 Civic EX, Supercharged

  9. #9
    Silvino
    Guest Silvino's Avatar

    Post

    yeah, the big guy at hitechexhaust says the same thing basically. You just need more area for the air to flow (larger cat gives more honeycomb area). So getting a larger diameter cat is going to help more than just swapping the same size cat with an aftermarket one.


    ------------------
    Silvino Orozco
    '97 Integra GS-R w/JRSC,JR Fuel pump, AEM Cold Air Intake, Powerstop rotors/Axxis Metal Master brake pads, A'PEXi Dunk Exhaust, J&S Safeguard unit


  10. #10
    Inactive Member lundgren's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 1999
    Posts
    1,436
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well one reason he is swapping it out is because his stock one is royally screwed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •